Sunday, January 27, 2008

Helpful exercises

In the wring class, we did a special exercise which has never done in EAP2 class. We exchanged our drafts each other and we read our partner’s draft. After it we wrote two stars and a wish as a general comment to the draft. This editing experience really helped us a lot. Before I came to Canada, I had also done this exercise in my country in Chinese class. The articles I wrote in Chinese has improved greatly because we also exchanged our drafts to classmates. Though the essay we wrote now is in English, the basic purpose of this exercise is the same as before. Through reading my partner’s essay, I can easily get the basic idea what he wanted to state. The techniques he used can be known and then maybe I can use the skills of writing he used in this essay into my next essay. Everyone has own advantages and disadvantages. The advantages he owns may not exist in my essay so I can learn a lot advantages to improve myself. We must praise our partners’ excellences in the comments and this can also help them to maintain these. The disadvantages we found in partners’ essay are the urgent aspects they really need to correct. This can make them avoid these disadvantages in the following essays. In addition, maybe I can not find the disadvantages of my writing but my partner finds them, this will be extremely helpful. Thus, this editing exercise can be a good way to help me and I will make great process on learning English.

5 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

It sounds like this was a really great activity for you!

^~FeLiX~^ said...

maybe you can show me

Sharon said...

Sometimes it is interesting to read others' essays~

Nahid said...

Hi David!

Yeah, I agree with you: Editing is more useful for the editors.

Have a nice weekend!
:)

Jack said...

Through this process, we can learn something useful from others and also we can improve our skills!~